The deadline to register to vote in Georgia's general primary election is less than three weeks away.
Georgia residents must register to vote by July 2 to be able to vote. Unsure if you're registered? Visit the Georgia Secretary of State website.
What's on the ballot?
Decatur area residents will select candidates for Districts 4 and 5 of the U.S. Congress. Both incumbents, Democrats Hank Johnson and John Lewis, are facing challengers from their party and from Republicans as well. There are state Senate and House elections as well, although many of them are represented by unchallenged incumbents. Burrell Ellis faces two Democratic challengers for DeKalb County CEO. There are also commissioners and school board members in the race. for a full list of candidates.
The , will also be on the ballot, along with another controversial measure.
Voters will decide if the state can override local school boards' decisions on rejection of charter schools.
The ballot will also allow voters to indicate support or opposition for stopping unlimited gifts from lobbyists to state legislators.
Georgians can vote on two tax-related issues: adoption of an income tax credit for home energy costs and a reduction of sales taxes on products made in Georgia to help small businesses.
Election Day is July 31 and the polls will be open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. If you don't know which precinct you're zoned for, check your Voter Precinct Card or call 404-298-4020. Note that some county precincts have moved--click here for more details.
To Register to Vote, You Must:
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- Be a legal resident of the county.
- Be at least 17 1/2 years of age to register and 18 years of age to vote.
- You must register or change your address at least 30 days before an election in Georgia.
- There are special requirements if you register for the first time in Georgia by mail. (See below)
- Once you are registered to vote, you will receive a Voter Precinct Card, which lists your voting location and representative districts.
Six Ways to Register
- Print the registration form, which you must sign and mail in. If you're registering for the first time in Georgia by mail, there is an additional requirement: Enclose a copy of one of the allowable types of ID in the same envelope with your registration application. If you forget to enclose your ID with your application, it could delay your voting process the first time you go to the polls.
- Visit the DeKalb County Election Office at 4380 Memorial Drive, Suite 300, Decatur. Office hours are 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.
- Call 404-298-4020 to have an application mailed to you.
- Register to vote when you get your driver's license.
- Pick up an application at government service centers, city halls or senior centers.
- Register at any when you apply for a library card. Or any time you are at a library, you may pick up a blank application and mail it in yourself.
Vote by Mail
- Any voter may apply for a vote-by-mail ballot—no reason is required.
- Applications are available here.