The City of Decatur has declared May "Bike Month" and is going out of its way to promote cycling.
That's only appropriate since the Leagle of American Bicyclists named Decatur a "bike-friendly community" last fall.
The city started offering activities last weekend but the non-stop rain caused problems. Here's' the list of remaining bike-centric things to do in May, courtesy of Decatur Active Living.
- May 9: Introduction to Bicycle Commuting, 6:30 – 8pm. Free. Decatur Recreation Center. Register on WEBTRAC.
- May 10: Bike Decatur Mobile Social, 6:30pm. Meet at Church Street MARTA for a short ride around Decatur.
- May 13 – 17: Bike to Work Week
- May 17: Bike to Work Day: Riders are invited to stop by Decatur Recreation Center between 7 and 10 am for coffee and pastries before your bike commute to work. Decatur Bikes is also offering a refreshment stop for Bike to Work Day.
- May 18: Beginner Group Riding Skills, 10am – 1pm. Class includes one hour of self study. Register on WEBTRAC.
- May 19: Bicycle South offers an easy no-drop ride to Stone Mountain Park, beginning from the store at 9 am. Refreshments at Bicycle South after the ride.
- May 25 – 26: Bike Valet parking is offered at the Decatur Arts Festival. Sponsored by Bicycle South and the City of Decatur.