Decatur's plan to annex two commercial areas died in the General Assembly.
City Manager Peggy Merriss said no legislator could be found to sponsor a bill in support of the annexation, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
In December, the city commission voted to annex two heavily commercial areas that included Suburban Plaza and the Publix-anchored Emory Commons Shopping Center.
Should the city try again to annex the land?
No referendum was needed because few residences were affected, Merriss said at the time. , which it never got.
The city went through long discussions before approving the failed annexation plan, including the potential annexation of six areas, .
Here are some previous Patch stories about annexation.
- Decatur taxes bashed at annexation hearing.
- Report says annexation would swell school system attendance.
- Decatur school system starts annexation blog.
- Decatur planning to annex.
- Mayor says the city should annex Suburban Plaza.
- Could a 'City of DeKalb' affect annexation timetable?