Avondale Estates is geared up to keep its roads and community safe as the National Weather Service in Peachtree City, Ga., issued a winter storm warning for DeKalb County and all of the metro Atlanta area from now through 7 a.m. Wednesday, Jan. 29.
The service forecasts an accumulation of 1 to 2 inches of snow starting mid-morning and lasting into tonight.
Avondale Estates' Department of Public Works will use a supply of more than 32 tons of sand-salt mix and 13 tons of gravel to melt ice and improve traction for drivers as needed.
Trucks are already loaded and associates are prepared to spend the night at their office to ensure proper distribution of those materials. The police department also has off-duty officers on standby.
What you can do to be safe and secure during the upcoming winter storm warning:
- Call 9-1-1 for emergencies and 404-294-2911 for non-emergency incidents
- Be aware of and keep an eye on neighbors, especially the elderly
- Charge cell phones and other mobile devices
- To report a power outage, call Georgia Power at 888.891.0938 or report the outage and view an outage map online at outagemap.georgiapower.com.
- Have extra batteries for flashlights and radios (to prevent fires, do not use candles)
- Have extra medications or special items for babies, the disabled and elderly