I love that Decatur is a bike friendly city. But please SHARE THE ROAD, bikers!
1. Stop at stop signs and red lights. Sounds basic. I've had three near misses with bikers who didn't.
2. Don't pass on the right if I am in the right lane. One swerve and bam.
3. Don't ride down the middle of the road passing cars lined up at a stop. I won't see you when I pull out to turn left or cross the road - like this morning when I missed a biker by a few feet.
4. Obey speed limits. 25 and 35 mph apply to you, too. I live on a hill. I get it. It's fun to fly down the hill on a bike. But it's dumb. And dangerous. I'm so afraid I'll be the one who is hit by a speeding bike. Because it will happen. It's just a matter of time.
5. Don't tail gate. Seriously. I've been rear-ended by a biker and I was using my turn signal.
If you want automobile drivers to respect you, earn respect by following the same rules they follow. Share the Road!