Here's the second in a series of Halloween safety tips from Avondale Estates' Police Chief Gary L. Broden:
- NEVER eat any treats until they are examined by an adult at your home.
- Trick or Treat with friends or with adult supervision. Don't go alone.
- NEVER enter the house or car of a stranger.
- Trick or Treat in the late afternoon or early evening.
- Trick or Treat in your own neighborhood, and visit only houses that you know.
- Stay on streets that are well lit and only cross the street at the corners.
- NEVER run across the street and always look both ways before crossing.
- Do not take short cuts through backyards, alleys, or parks.
- Carry a flashlight or wear reflective tape so drivers can see you and you can see hazards in the street as well as other people.
- Only trick or treat at houses where the porch light is on and well lit.
- Do not play with lighters, matches, or fireworks!