Here's the first of a series of Halloween safety tips from Avondale Estates' Police Chief Gary L. Broden:
Purchase or make costumes that are light, bright and clearly visible to motorists. For greater visibility during dusk and darkness, decorate or trim costumes with reflective tape that will glow in the beam of a car's headlights.
- Bags or sacks also should be light colored or decorated with reflective tape.
- Children should carry flashlights to see easily and aid in being seen.
- Costumes should be short enough so that children won't trip and fall.
- Children should wear well-fitting, sturdy shoes. Mother's high heels are not a good idea for safe walking.
- Tie hats and scarfs securely to keep them from slipping over children's eyes.
- If your child wears a mask, make sure it fits securely and has eye holes large enough to allow full vision.
Swords, knives, and accessories should be made of soft, flexible material.