1. 'Art' at the Academy Theatre. This play by Yasmina Reza will be performed at 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 11 and 12, at the Academy Theatre, 119 Center St., Avondale Estates. The theater describes the story: "When Serge buys an abstract expressionist white-on-white painting, his friendships are thrown into tumult on the verge of his friend's Ivan's wedding. Yasmine Reza's play explores friendship, aesthetics, and what loyalties we owe one another. It's not just black and white." The show runs through Aug. 18 on various dates. Tickets are $15.
2. . On Saturday, Aug. 11, DeKalb residents can receive free pet vaccinations (rabies and distemper for cats and dogs), pet food and spay/neuter for their pets. Bring your dogs on a leash and cats in a crate. This event runs from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 3643 Glenwood Road, Decatur. Free admission, of course. For more info e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. REI's mountain bike experts teach the basics about bikes, essential gear, safety and responsibility on the trail and basic bike maintenance. The class starts at 2 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 11, at REI at 1800 Northeast Expy NE, Atlanta. Free.
4. In the exhibition, photographer J. Henry Fair shows the effects of industrialization and pollution on the earth. Runs from Friday through Aug. 14 at the Jimmy Carter Library and Museum, 441 Freedom Parkway, Atlanta. Free.
5. "Writers." This exhibition features photographer Nancy Crampton’s pictures of authors, poets, novelists and journalists. At the Robert W. Woodruff Library at Emory University, 540 Asbury Circle, Atlanta. Ongoing. Check hours at http://web.library.emory.edu/about/library-hours. Free.