You can amuse yourself in Decatur and Avondale Estates without paying homage to the holidays. For a full listing of ideas, check out the Patch Events calendar. For holiday events, go to the Patch Calendar of Holiday Happenings.
1. 'They Call Me Mr. Fry.' This award-winning play is based on the true story of a first-year, fifth-grade teacher in South Central Los Angeles. This is the last weekend for the show. 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 3 p.m. Sunday at the Academy Theatre, 119 Center St, Avondale Estates. $20.
2. Intown Ace celebration. The much-loved hardware store on Scott Boulevard will celebrate its designation as one of the "coolest" in the Ace Hardware chain. Free food and fun stuff for customers.
3. Decatur High School community garden work day. Dig into the dirt and help out in this community garden at the high school. Bring your tools and work gloves. 9:30 a.m. Saturday.
4. One-year anniversary for Over and Beyond Basketball LLC. This local mentoring organization is marking its first birthday with a celebration. Food and prizes. 4 p.m. Saturday at 404 Electric Ave., Decatur. Free.
5. Monthly song circle. Everybody is welcome to this just-for-fun group singing. A few Christmas carols might be included. 7:30 p.m. Friday at 900 Dancing Fox Road, Decatur. Free.