There's plenty to do this weekend in Decatur and Avondale Estates, but here are five ideas to get you started. Look at the Events calendar for all the possibilities.
1. "Unaccetpable Truths": This production by Lynn Hess combines dialogue and dance to create a new show about abuse, their cycles and how to break them. 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the Academy Theatre. $5.
2. Poetry reading. Read something you wrote or something you like. Starts at 5:50 p.m. Friday at Trilogy Books at 41. N. Clarendon Ave., Avondale Estates. Free.
3. Daniel Morrison benefit. This Mac McGee employee had a scooter wreck recently and fractured his spine and broke both legs. The bar/restaurant is holding this benefit for him, with whiskey flights, raffles and live music. Starts at 4 p.m. Saturday.
4. Help a chef with cancer. No. 246 and other restaurants are donating 5 percent of dinner sales on Saturday to support Atlanta chef Ryan Hidinger’s fight against stage IV gallbladder cancer. Starts at 5 p.m. Saturday. For more information, visit http://teamhidi.org.
5. Valentine Dance. This event at the Solarium will benefit Stride Ahead, a nonprofit that provides equine-assisted therapy in Dekalb/Decatur for special-needs children, disabled veterans and at-risk youth. Starts at 7 p.m. Saturday. Tickets are $42 in advance, $50 at the door.