Here are some things happening this week in Decatur and Avondale Estates. For a list of other things to do, check out the Events Calendar.
1. Drink and Draw. Come to Mellow Mushroom in Decatur for figure drawing with live models in amazing outfits from your favorite comic books and movies. It starts at 8 p.m. Monday. You have to buy your own beer and food but specials run all night. Admission is free.
2. Rec center reopens. The Decatur Recreation Center reopens after an extensive remodeling. Ribbon-cutting at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday and guided tours at 9 and 10 a.m. and 12:30 and 7 p.m.
3. International dance showcase. Enjoy dances from Cuba, Ethiopia, India, Iraq and other countries. The show starts at 6 p.m. Tuesday at the Decatur High Performing Arts Center. Proceeds benefit the Global Village School, a local school for refugee girls. Admission is $3 for students, $5 for adults.
4. Explore Georgia's coast. Dr. Anthony Martin, a paleontologist, ichnologist and geologist at Emory University, will talk about his new book, Life Traces of the Georgia Coast: Revealing the Unseen Lives of Plants and Animals. Starts at 7:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Decatur Library. Free.
5. Listen to the poetry. The first gathering of poetry lovers at Trilogy Books in Avondale Estates takes place Feb. 8. They'll gather the first Friday of each month to read their own or others' verse. Starts at 5:30 p.m. with readings at 6 p.m. Free admission.