1. Football on Friday. Ray Glier of Decatur will be at the Little Shop of Stories to sign his new book, How the SEC Became Goliath: The Making of College Football's Most Dominant Conference. The shop will grill dogs and have chips and beer on hand. Tailgating starts at 6:30 p.m. and the main event at 7 p.m. Free.
2. Sign up for a 5K. The Literary Alliance of Metro Atlanta 5K Run/Walk will start at 8 a.m. Saturday on the Decatur Square, but you should sign up Friday to save a little money. Register online and it costs $20 per per person, $60 for a group of up to four people. On race day, it's $25 and $70.
3. Weather forecast. On Friday, mostly sunny with highs in the mid-80s, lows in the mid-60s. Saturday, expect a 30 percent chance of rain with highs around 80, lows around 60. On Sunday, there's a 40 percent chance of rain with highs around 77, lows in the high 50s.
4. Newsletter. Do you subscribe to the Decatur/Avondale Estates electronic newsletter? Each morning we'll send you an email with the top local stories straight to your inbox. Not signed up? Scroll to the bottom of any page on Patch; click "newsletters" beneath the "goodies" title. Then, enter your email address to receive the Patch newsletter.
5. On this date. In 1991, jazz musician Miles Davis died. He was 65.