Good morning, Decatur and Avondale Estates. Here are 5 Things to know about today.
1. Night music. Tenor saxophonist John Sandfort performs at 7 p.m. for the first Jazz Night at Scottish Rite of the month. Check out the schedule for other free concerts in September.
2. Weather. The chance of rain will be 20-30 percent. High around 85, low around 70.
3. Cheapest gas. The prices have stabilized somewhat, but they're still higher than a month ago. To find the best prices in the Decatur and Avondale Estates area, go to www.georgiagasprices.com and plug in your zip code.
4. Learn to can vegetables. The DeKalb Cooperative Extension will hold a hands-on class about safely canning and preserving produce. It starts at 1 p.m. at 4380 Memorial Drive, Decatur. The class costs $10 and preregistration is required.
5. On this date. In 1980, the University of Georgia opened their football season by beating the University of Tennessee 16-15 in Knoxville. Led by freshman Herschel Walker, the Bulldogs went on to win the national championship.