Good morning, Decatur and Avondale Estates. Here are 5 Things to know about today.
1. Pain at the pump. Gas prices are going up up up as oil companies take workers off rigs in the gulf because of the storm named Isaac. Prices topped four bucks at some spots in metro Atlanta, the AJC reported, and they're changing by the hour. For the cheapest prices, check www.georgiagasprices.com.
2. Take an umbrella. Again, thank Isaac for this. The chance of rain is 50-60 percent today, with highs in the low 80s, lows around 70.
3. . This student-based school is new to the Atlanta area. An information and enrollment session will be held at 7 p.m. at at 3260 Covington Highway, where the school will hold classes.
4. Warm up for the book festival. A discussion group will talk about Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese at 7 p.m. in the Decatur Library. Free.
5. On this date. In 2008, Republican presidential candidate John McCain picked Sarah Palin, the governor of Alaska, to be his running mate.