Good morning, Decatur and Avondale Estates. Here are 5 Things to know about today.
1. Weather. Sunny and hot. The high temp will be around 94, but the heat index will make it feel 99 to 103. The low temp will be about 73. Twenty percent chance of rain.
2. Lowest gas prices. Late Wednesday, it was $3.37 per gallon at QuikTrip at 4113 Covington Highway and Racetrac at 4847 Covington Highway. Prices can chance quickly so look at the Patch gas widget for the best deal in the Decatur and Avondale Estates area.
3. Deadlines for grant applications. Nonprofits have until Aug. 6 to apply for a grant from the , Aug. 18 from .
4. Sacred harp singing. Come to Emory Presbyterian at 1886 North Decatur Road and sing early American hymns in this powerful, exuberant style. Beginners welcome and instruction provided. Starts at 7:30 p.m. Free.
5. On this date. In 1997, Atlanta Mayor Bill Campbell pressed the button that caused the implosion of the 32-year-old Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, former home of the Atlanta Braves, Atlanta Falcons and Olympic baseball.