Good morning, Decatur and Avondale Estates. Here are 5 Things to know about today.
1. Weather. Partly sunny with a 20-40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s, lows in the upper 60s.
2. Public meetings. Decatur Planning Commission at 7:30 p.m. in City Hall. Decatur School Board at 6:30 p.m. in the Westchester Auditorium 758 Scott Blvd. Avondale Estates City Commission at 6:15 p.m. in City Hall. Avondale Estates Downtown Development Authority at 6:30 p.m. in City Hall.
3. Book launch party. Decatur author Josh Russell has published a new novel, A True History of the Captivation, Transport to Strange Lands, and Deliverance of Hannah Guttentag. The launch party will be held at 7:15 p.m. at the Decatur Library.
4. Lowest gas prices. Late Monday, the lowest price was $3.36 at Kroger at 2875 North Decatur Road. Prices can chance quickly so look at the Patch gas widget for the best deal in the Decatur and Avondale Estates area.
5. On this date. In 1945, President Harry S Truman announced the surrender of Japan, thus ending World War II.