The James Beard Foundation– a nonprofit organization dedicated to fostering a deeper understanding of America’s culinary culture– has announced the semifinalists for its 2013 Restaurant and Chef Awards, and a Decatur Chef was noted for their greatness.
Billy Allin of Decatur’s Cakes & Ale made the cut as a semifinalist for Best Chef in Southeast.
Also, Chef Ford Fry of Decatur’s No. 246 and west Atlanta’s The Optimist and JCT. Kitchen was named an outstanding restauranteur, along with Mike Klank and Eddie Hernandez of Taqueria del Sol, with a location on Cheshire Bridge and one on Howell Mill Road.
Other Atlanta-area restaurants and chefs JBF semifinalists include:
- Holeman & Finch Public House, Outstanding Bar Program
- Little Five Points' The Porter Beer Bar, Outstanding Bar Program
- Bacchanalia, Outstanding Service
- Anne Quatrano of Bacchanalia, Outstanding Chef
- Aaron Russell of Buckhead’s Restaurant Eugene, Outstanding Pastry Chef
- Todd Richards of The Shed at Glenwood, Best Chef in Southeast
- Miller Union's Steven Satterfield, Best Chef in Southeast
Westside’s Cardamom Hill was the only Atlanta restaurant to be recognized as one of the country’s best new restaurants.
The 2013 James Beard Foundation Award nominees will be announced on March 18, and the JBF Awards will be presented in New York City in May 3 and 6.