A portion of Ponce de Leon Avenue will be closed to vehicular traffic this weekend for the Atlanta BeltLine's ongoing construction of the Eastside Trail project.
The section of road between Ponce de Leon Place and the Midtown Place Shopping Center (across from Ponce City Market) will be closed from June 15 through June 18.
In case of bad weather, the weekend of June 22 through the 25th will serve as the back-up period for work crews.
- During this weekend (June 11-15): The bridge will be lowered to its final elevation. The contractor will pour the concrete trail and complete touch-up repairs.
- Closures are scheduled to begin at 9 p.m. on Friday evening and will reopen by 5 a.m. Monday morning of the affected weekends.
- Road signs will be in place for the two weeks leading up to the closures to alert drivers on Ponce de Leon Avenue.
- Sidewalks will periodically be closed to pedestrian traffic, as work requires underneath the bridge.
- All vehicular access points to the shops at Midtown Place, the Kroger shopping center, Ponce Place and Ford Factory Lofts will be open and accessible during this road closure.
- Detour signs and off duty-police officers will be provided to direct motorists.
Currently under construction, the Eastside Trail spans more than two miles from the southeast tip of Piedmont Park to Inman Park and the Old Fourth Ward neighborhoods.
The project, which includes a 14-foot-wide, multi-use concrete trail that is to be used for walking, biking, running and skating, is the next major component of the Atlanta BeltLine slated to open to the public.
The Eastside Trail is the first part of the trail system to be built within the old rail corridor, which will eventually connect 45 neighborhoods.
Editor's note: A previous version of this story gave the wrong weekends for the closure.