Hello fellow citizens of Decatur and Avondale Estates. As I'm sure you're all aware of by now, AGL Resources and Dekalb County have started contruction on a project to replace a 60 year old gas line that runs right through the Katie Kerr corridor. While I understand the necessity to replace this gas line, I find it quite disturbing that they did not bother to inform any of the local residents of what was going on until after construction began. As well, they did not request any input at all from the local residents to see how it might effect those living here.
Thus far, the noise, vibrations, and overall inconvenience to eveyone living here has been much worse than anticipated. They've cut down many trees, and the heavy equipment has churned up the pavement along the entire stretch of Katie Kerr from Craigie Rd to Columbia. Not to mention having to ask permission to pass into our own neighborhood.
Nothing can be done to stop it now, but we can speak up to ensure that this otherwise neglected swath of neighborhood is revitalized post construction. I have created a change.org petition, and am asking anyone who lives in the area or drives through this area to sign. Here is what myself, and quite a few of my neighbors are requesting from AGL/Dekalb County for post construction:
1. A full repaving of Katie Kerr from Craigie to Columbia. This includes both sides of the road, not just patch paving the side they dug up.
2. Re-curbing on both sides of the street.
3. New sidewalks on the residential side of the street. The existing sidewalks are completely dilapidated and in some areas are barely walkable.
4. Streetlights on the residential side of the street. Anyone who walks thier dog after dark, or runs, cycles etc knows this is an absolute neccesity.
5. Proper landscaping on the easement where the trees were cut. Turf, shrubs, etc. It is understood they cannot replant trees in the event they need to access the line. However they can make the easement pleasing to view.
6. Finally, share the road signs and "sharrows" (share the road arrows) painted on the fresh asphalt. As an avid cyclist, I feel like this is imperative. I myself cycle on Katie Kerr, and many other cyclists use Katie Kerr as a cut through to Columbia Dr and other neighborhoods.
If you have read the above and agree, please sign the petition. Even if you do not live in this area but pass through, please sign. This neghborhood has been overlooked by Dekalb County for far too long. If we all speak up in unison, perhaps we will finally be heard.
The online petition is located here:
Resident of Wheatfields Place