MLK Day Events In And Around Decatur and Avondale Estates
Decatur's annual MLK Service Project is the big thing in Decatur and Avondale Estates, but there are also speeches by Joseph Lowery and Xernona Clayton and a discussion of civil rights with Andrew Young.
MLK Day is a local, state and national holiday to honor the memory of the late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Here's a partial listing of activities planned around the holiday.
Friday, Jan. 18.
- MLK Convocation at Agnes Scott College. Civil rights leader C.T. Vivian will speak at 2 p.m. in Presser Hall. He replaced the Rev. Joseph Lowery, who canceled because of illness.
- DeKalb County celebration. Xernona Clayton, founder of the Trumpet Awards Foundation Inc., will speak about “Female Pioneers of the Civil Rights Movement” at 11 a.m. in the Maloof Auditorium at 1300 Commerce Drive, Decatur.
Saturday, Jan. 19 to Monday, Jan. 21.
- Decatur's MLK Service Project. Residents of all ages will clean up and repair senior citizens' houses. You can still sign up to participate in this citywide event.
Monday, Jan. 21.
- MLK Day Parade. The parade starts at 12:30 p.m. at Ray of Hope Christian Church at 2778 Snapfinger Road, Decatur, and ends with a rally at Martin Luther King Jr. High School at 3991 Snapfinger Road, Lithonia. The parade had been held in Stone Mountain in previous years. For information contact Sarah-Copelin-Wood at 404 371-1490 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Repainting mental health center. Hands on Atlanta will work 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Clifton Springs Mental Health Center at 3110 Clifton Springs Road, Decatur.
- MLKDay5K. This 5K race/walk starts at 9 a.m. in Piedmont Park.
- ML5K. This 5K race/walk starts at 2:30 p.m. in Athens.
- UNCC/MLK Merchants Association 5k & Kids K. A race/walk in Southwest Atlanta.
Saturday, Jan. 26
- Civil rights discussion. Andrew Young, civil rights leader and former Atlanta mayor will talk about this important issue with state Sen. Jason Carter and Atlanta City Council member Lisa Borders. Starts at 6 p.m. at the Friends School of Atlanta at 862 Columbia Drive, Decatur.
- The King Center in Atlanta has a series of events planned for MLK Day.
Editor's note: Earlier versions of this story said Joseph Lowery would speak Friday at Agnes Scott College. The college announced late Thursday that Lowery was ill and would be replaced by C.T. Vivian.