Decatur Schools May Ban Chocolate Milk for K-3
A Decatur Schools committee recommends eliminating chocolate milk for K-3 students and phasing it out for higher grades. The committee has 10 menu recommendations, including eliminating or changing peanut butter, chips, chicken nuggets and pancakes.
A City Schools of Decatur committee that studied lunchroom nutrition is recommending that chocolate milk be eliminated for students in kindergarten through third grade and phased out for other grades.
The Decatur School Board may vote on the proposal when it meets today at the Westchester Building at 758 Scott Blvd. The meeting starts at 6:30 p.m.
The Ultimate Menu Committee, formed last spring to make school menus healthier, made 10 recommendations of items for removal or change.
1. Chocolate milk – eliminate in K-3 and propose a phase out for grades 4 and up.
2. Muffins - eliminate highly processed products, could replace with healthier versions.
3. Pancakes, waffles and french toast - eliminate highly processed products, could replace with healthier versions.
4. Chips – eliminate highly processed and/or fried chips, replace with healthier (baked) chips.
5. Chicken Nuggets – eliminate highly processed products, replace with healthier versions.
6. Shrimp Poppers/Fried Fish – eliminate pre-fried products, could replace with non-fried version, if available.
7. Dried Potatoes, Tater Tots/Potato Triangles – eliminate highly processed and pre-fried products.
8. High Sugar Desserts – eliminate.
9. Peanut Butter: with hydrogenated oil and sugar – replace with product without added oils.
10. Highly Processed Cheese (i.e. cheese sauces, American cheese, etc) – replace with real cheese.
The committee's report said the school system has already removed a number of food items from lunchroom menus, such as canned fruit wheavy syrup, margarine, trans fats, sugary cereals, white bread, pizza with white bread crust ad milk with high-fructose corn syrup.
To see the full Ultimate Menu Committee report, go to the City Schools of Decatur webpage and click on the PDF at the bottom of the page.