5 Things to Know Today: Aug. 23, 2012
Today's highlights: Poetry at the Wylde Center or Storytime at the Little Shop of Stories.
Good morning, Decatur and Avondale Estates. Here are 5 Things to know about today.
1. Weather. Mostly sunny highs in the upper-80s, lows in the mid-60s.
2. Earth Poetry. The Wylde Center encourages verse-lovers to "bring poetry to share, whether your own or a favorite poet's. Then we'll split up to experience the wonders of the Garden, jot down anything that inspires us, and gather again for sharing and conversation." From 7-9 p.m. at the Oakhurst Community Garden. $5 donation suggested.
3. Tell me a story. Parents, did you know the Little Shop of Stories has a Storytime thrice weekly? On Thursdays, it happens at 7 p.m. and includes milk and cookies. Also Tuesdays at 11 a.m. and Sunday at 3 p.m. It's free.
4. Cheapest gas. Late Wednesday, the cheapest gas in the Decatur and Avondale Estates area was $3.36 at RaceTrac at 3858 Covington Highway and QuikTrip at 4113 Covington Highway.
5. On this date. In 1927, anarchists Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti were executed in Boston. They had been convicted of killing two men during a robbery.